Well another week has sped by with so little time to spend working on the plot, with the news of the rejection of the councils bid to close Edge Lane site I was kept busy answering calls from the local press and local television.
However I did manage to fill my leaf bins with the leaves brought to the site by the council workers, we still have plenty left to keep the rest of the plot holders busy filling their bins. The winter crops of sprouts, leeks, kale, etc are continuing to produce and the crops in tunnel 1 are looking good.
I have managed to dig tunnel 2 ready to to cover the beds with manure in preparation for next year, and I hope to finish the load of manure, that I have, in the tunnel this week. I also hope to finish digging at the end of tunnel 1 and erect the new manure heap sides, ready for the next load.
If the rain keeps away I may manage to paint the shed with a couple of coats of paint which should keep it going for another year or two. It will then be time to sort out the compost bins, move them and take out the compost and start filling them again.
JOBS FOR THE WEEK
- Dig tunnel 2 – done
- Manure tunnel 2 – done
- Dig over end of tunnel 1 – done
- Paint shed
- Move and empty compost bins – done
WORK DONE THIS WEEK
- Dig tunnel 2
- Finish digging tunnel 2
- Water tunnel 1
- Spread manure in tunnel 2 - ran out
- Clear manure area ready for more work
- Remove wall to manure heap and start digging strip – rain stopped play
- Finish digging end of tunnel 1
- Start erecting supports for new sides
- Finish erecting sides to manure area
- Move three compost bins, refill two with the contents
- store compost from binds.
- Start clearing dead leave fom brassica bed.
CROPS PICKED THIS WEEK
- Red cabbage